When it comes to children’s play, the freedom to imagine, build and create is paramount.
I talk a lot in my work about the benefits of deconstructed role play and am always on the look out for alternatives to the humble cardboard box.
It was one of those searches that led me to Kitcamp. After seeing the kit online, I got in touch with the Kitcamp team and asked if they would be willing to give me a set that I could giveaway to you.
I was chuffed when they said yes!
What is Kitcamp? Well, have a look at this…
This is what the Kitcamp team say about their product
Why consider KITCAMP?
Kitcamp offers an engaging learning environment through its innovative design approach of combining loose-parts with a robust and lightweight material.
It’s designed for children of varying ages and abilities to manipulate and create their space, placing the importance of meaningful play at the heart of learning and physical and mental well-being.
WHAT CAN I DO WITH KITCAMP?
The multi-faceted and versatile nature of Kitcamp provides a great amount flexibility in a setting and in the approach to learning.
There are at least 5 areas where Kitcamp can provide benefits to children.
- Physical activities
- By using Kitcamp actively it encourages more physical play and learning, improving physical literacy, gross and fine motor skills and spatial awareness.
- Kitcamp is a key asset to an ‘Active School’, a Youth Sports Trust initiative, by;
- encouraging more pupils to take up physical activities,
- involving the least active children by providing targeted activities,
- increasing pupils’ participation in school games,
- encouraging pupils to take on leadership roles,
- meeting requirements of the national curriculum,
- embedding 30 minutes of physical activity into the school day through active teaching, see our Toolkits.
- Free Play
- Kitcamp provides opportunities for child-led free play, where the children take control with creative building scenarios. This can be both indoors and out. As Dr. Peter Gray suggests, “Free play is nature’s way of teaching children that they are not helpless”*.
- Kitcamp is a social play experience. Children find it most effective to work in teams, negotiating, problem-solving, communicating, creating together and exercising their executive functions for successful builds.
- Kitcamp is a creative and original play methodology, where creativity and physical engagement is at the heart of the play experience, and everything must be imagined to be created.
- Kitcamp is great for SEN too. For example, allowing kids to create and control their own private spaces, creating sensory spaces and encouraging spatial awareness.
- Guided Play
- Guided play with Kitcamp stimulates and encourages curiosity and inquiry through:
- socio-dramatic play and other
- classroom activities, such as making work stations, mud kitchens, mark-making or art easels.
- In addition, Kitcamp draws continuously on STEM and STEAM.
- Incorporate inspiring Kitcamp Toolkits into everyday lessons. Developed by teachers for teachers, they meet the objectives of EYFS and the national curriculum. They’re key to saving teacher’s time to create stimulating, active and engaging learning environments.
- Visit iamkitcamp.com/resources for more information.
- Practical equipment
- Space is often limited in schools. On a practical level, Kitcamp’s versatility offers urban settings with limited space “benefits beyond traditional playground equipment” and “provide(s) a good substitute for outdoor, natural play spaces”1 . It can be used both indoors and out and stored in all-weather, durable holdall bags.
- Kitcamp goes beyond simply outdoor physical equipment and is great for creating reading corners, room dividers, activity areas, such as mud kitchens or painting easels, and work surfaces.
Kitcamp has many benefits as outlined by its versatile and modular nature. The Kitcamp panels are manufactured in the UK and are made from expanded polypropylene (EPP). A material known for its structural strength, cushioning and memory quality after impact, making it ideal for children’s play. The panels are 100% recyclable, chemically inert, and manufactured by compression moulding using only heat and steam. Kitcamp’s EPP is sourced from partners adhering to strict EN ISO environmental and energy management standards.
Each panel weighs around 1kg, with a single constructed cube taking a weight over 230kg.
The light weight of the panels make it easy for children to manipulate, and easy for teachers and parents to transport and pack away for storage, using durable all-weather bags – an ideal solution where space is a concern.
The panels are also easy to clean and require very little maintenance.
“This is the most imaginative thing I have ever seen – it’s better than Lego” – Ollie, Year 6.
“It’s not often you come across something that supports children’s all-around development in a way that is so creative yet also lends itself to the children’s physical development, which just demonstrates to me it’s versatility”
Charter Primary School
“I love it. It has potential for all children: gifted children, less able children, anyone. It can be used all year round outside or inside, and it’s suitable for all ages (not just KS1).”
Mrs Genner, Senior Teacher, Churchfields Primary.
The winner of this Kitcamp Givaway will receive:
A mini Kitcamp kit for early years settings.
Our mini kit is valued at £1,295 excl. VAT and £35 delivery (included in the offer).
In addition we’re offering a £100 off for all entrants who follow @iamkitcamp on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
What’s in the kit?
MINI KIT CONTENT
15 x Mix of solid, round and square holed expanded polypropylene (EPP) panels (equates to 3 constructed cubes).
10 x Triangular EPP panels for support.
2 x Sails/canopies. Each 2 x 1.35m.
30 x orange plugs, for attaching items to panels.
10 x Blue straps for securing structures.
20 x Yellow straps for fastening panels.
3 x Whiteboards to attach to panels for mark making.
20 x Cardboard inserts to fit to panels for creative activities and decorating for role play.
3 x All weather holdall bags for carrying and storage.
1 x Accessory bag for small parts, such as plugs and straps.
How To Enter
If you would like to have the chance to win the Kitcamp Mini Kit then all you have to do is:
Leave a comment on this blog post and/or
Leave a comment on the Kitcamp Mini Kit Giveaway post on the ABC Does Facebook Page here and/or
Leave a comment on the Kitcamp Mini Kit Giveaway post on the ABC Does Instagram page (@ABCDoes)
The giveaway will close at 11.59pm on FRIDAY 14th JUNE 2019.
The winner will be drawn at random.
On this occasion, this is a UK only Giveaway.